[Six-inch rifled gun]

The two 6-inch guns facing the state highway were not from Fort De Soto but were from Fort Dade. Fort Dade is located on Egmont Key State Park. The two 6-inch Armstrong rapid-fire rifled guns (model 1898) were mounted at Battery Burchsted until 1980 when the guns were removed from the collapsed gun battery and brought over to Fort De Soto County Park for restoration. In 1982 the two guns were mounted by Battery Laidley. They are the last two guns of that model year in the United States.

[Home page] [Contents for web site] [Move back] [Move forward]
Copyright notice: All rights reserved. No part of the material on these pages may be reproduced or utilized in any form without written permission from the copyright owner.